Tympanomastoidectomy Post-operative careMarch 2, 2018
Tympanoplasty Post-operative careMarch 2, 2018
FESS and Septoplasty Post-operative care
These procedures are often performed together to improve drainage and ventilation of the nasal passages and sinus cavities. It is performed endoscopically to avoid external scarring. The approached for the septoplasty procedure is internally and closure is achieved with absorbable sutures. The post-operative care is the same for these two procedures whether they are performed separately or in combination.
1. After the operation you will receive medication which will usually consist of:
- Salt water solution (Salex) with which the nose should be rinsed 3 times a day to remove blood clots and mucous. You are allowed to blow your nose.
- After blowing the nose apply the Vibrocil or Otrivin, it helps decongest and soften the crusts. Please start from day 1.
- You will also receive antibiotics, complete the course. Sometimes the antibiotic needs to be changed according to your cultures.
- Analgesic/anti-inflammatory medicine can be used as needed.
2. It is important to arrange for a 7 to 10 day follow-up appointment for better results, in addition a 1 month and 3 month follow-up is usually advisable. – In case of any complications:
- Foul smelling discharge
- Blockage of the nose
- Severe swelling of the face
- Abnormalities of the eyes – swelling, blurring of vision, blackening around the eyes
- Severe headache